Friday 1 June 2012

Damned Deviations



A fork in the lane ahead
Heralds a choice.
Damned deviations
Which confuse and blur,
Obscuring clarity
Like breath on cold glass.
We must walk in our own shoes
Despite sagas secreted
Beneath their tread.
Despite voices urging
This way and that
As we fumble and flounder,
And cling to our routine
Like a startled grey squirrel
Clings to cracked bark.
Loose rocks in our path
Can surely become
Stable stepping stones,
Firm and resolute.
A time for change
And brave deep breaths.
Strangers lurk ahead;
Dark figures in
Unknown places.
Or maybe
They’re unfamiliar friends?
Comforting comrades
With names as yet unheard.
Be bold, hope for success,
Venture forwards,
Embrace new paths
And greet new faces.
For no-one knows
How long the meandering path
Will stretch.

Angela Barton

3 comments:

  1. very nice. I usually don't get into poetry but this spoke to me. I feel as if I'm on a similar path...
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You portray the uncertainties, and the need to take a risk venturing onto unknown new paths very well, Ange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heidi and Rosemary. I don't write much poetry, but sometimes a topic calls out to me! I'm so pleased you found something of interest in it. xx

    ReplyDelete